For any parent out there the thought of your adolescent or teenage son or daughter using drugs is something that cannot be imagined. Unfortunately teenage drug use is more common than many of us think.
According to statistics teenage drug abuse rates regarding certain drugs continue to climb causing much concern throughout schools and communities in the United States. The abuse of marijuana, prescription drugs and synthetic drugs are said to be the primary culprit.
Basic Information On Drugs Of Abuse By Teens
Teen drug abuse rates are continually monitored by many government agencies on daily, monthly and yearly trends. Some of the concerns with use are as follows:
• The percentages of new teen users.
• The increase in younger than teen-age individuals who are trying drugs starting from age 8 or earlier.
• The numbers of teens abusing prescriptions.
• The continual abuse of marijuana.
• Synthetic drug abuse and the negative physical effects of the problem.
• Lack of appropriate treatment alternatives for teens.
Statistics report that kids as young as 6-8 are trying drugs for the first time and these are drugs other than marijuana. A lot of the current teen drug problem also has to do with prescription abuse; which is newly becoming the primary teen drug abuse trend. The abuse of prescription painkillers like hydrocodone, oxycodone and Oxy Contin are the primary problem as well as the abuse of stimulant prescriptions. The main stimulant prescriptions that are being abused by teens are Adderall and Ritalin.
Teens are also continuing to abuse marijuana and it remains the number one most abused drug with teens as well as the drug sending the highest numbers of teens to rehab.
Synthetic drug abuse is also a growing problem and these include drugs created using chemicals that mimic illegal narcotics. There are two main categories of synthetic drug abuse affecting teens and these are the abuse of synthetic marijuana and synthetic methamphetamine.
Synthetic marijuana, also called K2 or Spice has been responsible for a number of emergency room visits amongst teens and is now illegal across the United States.
The other abused synthetic mimicking methamphetamine is called Bath Salts. This drug can sent teen users into a paranoid frenzy and its effects are unpredictable at best.
Teenage Drug Abuse Facts & Statistics
According to the latest Monitoring the Future Survey the current teen drug abuse statistics are as follows:
• For the first time since 1981 cigarette use is lower than marijuana use meaning that continual increases are happening with teen marijuana use.
• General marijuana use amongst 8th graders to seniors continues to increase.
• Marijuana is the first most abused drug by teens.
• Prescription drugs are the second most abused drugs by teens.
• Vicoden is the number one prescription painkiller abused by teens.
• Prescription stimulants are the second most abuse prescription by teens.
• Cough Syrup is the third most commonly abused drug by teens following prescription painkillers and prescription stimulants.
• Teens who abuse prescription painkillers often end up abusing heroin.
• Teens who abuse prescription stimulants often end up abusing methamphetamine.
Narconon Vista Bay Not Surprised By Teen Abuse Trends
Narconon Vista Bay with several locations in the state of California is not surprised by the current teen drug abuse trends. With the current availability of prescriptions, more and more teens are bound to abuse them. In addition, marijuana legislation has been becoming less and less strict over the years allowing more access to the drug and those addicted to take advantage and abuse it.
As a result Narconon Vista Bay and even programs that provide meetings like NA have seen more and more teens in trouble and searching for help for prescription abuse.
For more information on Narconon Vista Bay call 888-292-4999.